środa, 30 listopada 2011

Fedora 15 bugs

Fedora Desktop variant #1
XFce variant #1
Fedora Desktop variant #2
XFce variant #2

As I've found Gnome 3 unusable I've switch to Xfce which is much better than Gnome 3 but not perfect:

  • Freezes frequently if save session is active. This problem was solved by switching off save session feature.

  • Changes workspace layout from time to time. Most of time it displays variant #1 of the Desktop but sometimes the desktop switches to variant #2. Have no idea why. Unsolved.

  • Problems (fortunately very rarely) with The Workspace Switcher panel plugin (which allows one to switch between virtual desktops and/or display workspace layout in the panel)---number of displayed workspaces is suddenly reduced to 1 (or even 0). Unsolved as well.

Both unsolved `features' are annoying.

Finally I cannot update Fedora:


## LANG=C to switch to English
LANG=C yum update

Error: Package: ffmpeg-libs-0.6.90-0.2.rc0.fc15.i686 (@rpmfusion-free)
Requires: libx264.so.114
Removing: x264-libs-0.0.0-0.29.20110227.fc15.i686 (@rpmfusion-free)
libx264.so.114
Updated By: x264-libs-0.0.0-0.30.20110620.fc15.i686 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
Not found
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

I have downgraded ffmpeg-libs (/etc/yum.conf contains exclude=ffmpeg-libs ffmpeg), otherwise I was unable to play AVI files. But sopcast insists on packages which are in conflict with my setup. In result I haven't sopcast installed.

I've been using Linux as my desktop operating system for about 12 years. I have started with Red Hat 4.0 (or 5.0) in 1989 or 1990 and since then I've stuck with Red Hat/Fedora. Actually I have never used MS Windows except version 95 (for starting DOS box) or when forced to do so. Looking back at all the Fedoras/RedHats I have used I am disappointed. Bugs were in every distributions, but with the help of Google I was able to cope with them. For the first time I cannot...

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz