poniedziałek, 14 stycznia 2013

Raspberry Pi: registering webcamera at wundergound.com

View from my Window
View from my Window

Today I connected old Logitech Webcam C200 to my Raspberry Pi. I just wanted to capture single frames (at a specified time interval, say every 10 minutes) and upload resulting images to wunderground.com. I tried to use fswebcam for that purpose.

BTW a good description of available software for WebCams can be found here.

To install fswebcam one have to execute:


# apt-get install fswebcam

I run fswebcam with the following bash script (borrowed from Raspberry Pi -- Webcam streaming):


#!/bin/bash
OUTPUT_DIR=/var/www/cam/fswebcam-output

fswebcam -r 640x480 -S 11 --jpeg 95 \
--title "Sopot/Abrahama Street (PL)" \
--subtitle "View from my window" \
--info "Hardware: Logitech_Webcam_C200@raspberryPi" \
--save $OUTPUT_DIR/image.jpg -q

To display one's images at wunderground.com one have to register the camera with a simple form. The images can be uploaded to ftp account at wunderground.com or they can be retrieved from the public URL. As I have decided to upload them I have got ftp account credentials upon sucessfull registration (server and user name). The password is the same as for my wunderground.com WWW account.

I upload images withe following bash script borrowed from here:


REMOTE='webcam.wunderground.com'
USER='hrpunioCAM1'

PASSWORD='#####'
FTPLOG='/tmp/ftplog'
date >> $FTPLOG

ftp -n $REMOTE <<_FTP>>$FTPLOG
quote USER $USER
quote PASS $PASSWORD
bin
lcd /var/www/cam/fswebcam-output
put image.jpg
quit
_FTP

Images are produced and uploaded every few minutes---the scripts are executed with appropriate crontab entries.

A link to my webcam at wunderground.com is here.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz